Monday, December 15, 2014

Christmas Home Decor...Tips and Tricks!

I have so much fun decorating for the seasons. Before beginning the seasonal change, i always decide what "theme" I am going for. This helps me stay on track and not get too over whelmed with ideas or clutter. So for this winter I decided to go with the Pacific Northwest rustic theme.

I started by looking at a lot of pictures... Then you want to look at the areas in your house and decide what can be decorated that is bare, or what will people see throughout the room when they come in, and what be overly cluttered. In my house I have my "go-to" areas: the mantle, tops of side cabinets in my living room, the piano in my family room, the dining table, and my entryway hutch. Notice all of these areas are not just in the same room. I want to have my seasonal decor tastefully in each room of the living space. Also each of these areas are flat top open spaces.

Next we begin to accumulate all our goodies from the past year, and decide where we need new and fresh pieces. This year I did my spending on the greenery, since in the past I hadnt done too much greenery.
I also got an old window I collected a couple years back, for about $10. Look around your house, garage, shop and woods for anything that can be used, without having to spend a penny! Because we all know how much it can add up!







I then saw lots of ideas with logs and candles, so I went out to my log pile and found a few! I cut them to my length, drilled a few holes, and popped some candles in. For my center piece on my dining table, I did the same idea, but laid the log sideways and drilled the holes.



Opposites attract in decorating, so with the rustic I knew a little bit of the crackled silver glassware would be the finishing touch! It helps balance the look, without it being too overboard on glassware, or too overboard on logs and green!



You always want to stand back and try to balance out your decor. If you have an arrangement of flowers or foliage, then have a shorter candle and a medium frame, like on the piano. This is pleasing to the eye, without everything matchy matchy.


Last but not least, I love changing out my pillows with the seasons. Its pretty inexpensive, if you reuse your forms and just make new covers with zippers! I like to warm rooms up with texture, so I found a fur blanket at Marshall's for $20- I cut it into 7 18"-20" pillows! You cant beat that price on material! I then bought some cheap but beautiful sweaters, and cut them into two pillows each! Also about $3 a piece for materials. This adds a cozy feel to our living room! 



Anyways, hope this helps you with your decorating! Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions :)

Merry Christmas to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment